Tuesday 22 September 2009

That's the way this wheel keeps working.


I am a HUGE John Mayer fan.

Not the stalkish type though. The idolizing type would be appropriate.
The music, the guitar playing, the womanizer ways, he's freaking cool.

I have been listening to his music severely extensive ever since I bought his live at New York DVD entitled "Where The Light Is". Before, I stopped listening to him cos i thought that i was a bit narrow in terms of musical influence. Seriously, when I said SEVERELY extensive, i meant that i ONLY listened to him.

I find his bridges and pre choruses are always so intriguing to hear and a bit unusual. Especially in his Heavier Things album. The song 'Clarity' was the first Mayer tune that caught my ear. Heard it being played by my favorite local radio station back in the days. Put in on repeat for a few days after i downloaded it. Funny thing is, that wasnt the song that got me hooked into Mayer and guitar playing up until today. It was his previously released song that got me hooked, the acoustic version of 'Love Song For No One'.

And now i find myself in the same cycle again in this addiction to Mayer's music.
I've been putting 'Wheel', the last song in Heavier Things, on repeat for a few days now.
Well i've got to admit i had this song on repeat about a year ago. But that was because i only liked to listen to it.

As my skills as a, should I say, musician, have grown, i have now develop the habit of actually listening to the LYRICS while listening to the song.
A memorable quote from the Music and Lyrics says something like this..

Alex Fletcher: It doesn't have to be perfect. Just spit it out. They're just lyrics.
Sophie Fisher: "Just lyrics"?
Alex Fletcher: Lyrics are important. They're just not as important as melody.
Sophie Fisher: I really don't think you get it.
Alex Fletcher: Oh. You look angry. Click your pen.
Sophie Fisher: A melody is like seeing someone for the first time. The physical attraction. Sex.
Alex Fletcher: I so get that.
Sophie Fisher: But then, as you get to know the person, that's the lyrics. Their story. Who they are underneath. It's the combination of the two that makes it magical.

And that is just why i love this song.
On that note, here you go.


I believe that my life's gonna see.. the love I give returned to me






No comments: